Our Top 5 Curriculum Choices: Khan Academy
I recently posted about our journey with making mid-year curriculum changes. I promised to show you our top choices and some samples to try . I’m here to deliver on that promise! This time we are talking about math with Khan Academy!
But first, if you haven’t read “Navigating Curriculum Choices – Part 1, you might want to head on over and check it out first! You can also join my mailing list and get my latest FREE printable “Navigating Curriculum Choices”. It’s really going to help you focus on where to make changes and how. Hope you like it!
If you struggle with some of the new concepts in teaching math, like I do, you too will appreciate Sal Khan. Khan Academy offers way more than math, but that’s what we use it for the most. It’s a vast platform for learning no matter your age. They are constantly adding new subjects. And it all FREE! There are no samples on the site. But once you sign up and let your kids try it, they will love it! Here’s why we like it for math:
- You can create a personal avatar.
- Points, lots of points which turn into…
- Achievement badges. My 8-year-old got 2 badges yesterday for”sticktoitiveness” and “perseverance” – bless his heart!). Even though basic geometry is not clicking with him yet, he was encouraged to keep trying because of the badges he received.
- You can set yourself up as a teacher and get weekly reports on what your kids are doing. Confession: We have had a few “discussions” about how much time has been spent creating avatars rather than doing actual math. But, they always come back around to wanting more points, badges and
- Mastery Challenges. It’s really just a fancy word for review quiz, but if it keeps them wanting to do math, then we will call them Mastery Challenges.
Well, that’s all 5 of our Top Curriculum choices for this year. I hope you have enjoyed learning about them as much as I’ve enjoyed sharing about them. If you missed one here are the links to the other four top choices.
If you have been inspired or encouraged by this series, I’d love to hear from you in the comments section!