7 UK Travel Tips To Know Before You Go
Ready to cross the pond and head for the UK? Good choice! You are going to love it! Maybe you need a few UK travel tips to help settle the nerves and help you take your dream trip to the next level? Well here you go. So grab a cuppa, a biscuit or maybe a jam butty and let’s go! You’ll know your onions in no time!
Mind the Gap!
For starters, the United Kingdom is made up of the following countries: England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. Those from Wales are Welsh. Scots are from Scotland. Only those from England are English. But..they are all British!
While it is an English speaking country, you will find that the accent and dialect is quite different in the various countries and even by region, county or village.
When To Go.
High Season: July-August, December
Best Weather: April -September
Foods To Try
- Fish & Chips
- Beef Wellington
- Meat Pie
- Full English Breakfast
- Yorkshire Pudding
- Scones & Clotted Cream
- Local Beer & Whiskey
- Haggis, Neeps & Tatties
- Knife in your right hand, fork in your left. Don’t switch ’em.
Keep your hands above the table when not using cutlery.
- When finished, lay your fork (tines up) & knife diagonal across plate, handles to the bottom right.
- In a pub, individuals take turns buying rounds of drinks for their group.
- Don’t cut in any line. Brits take “queuing up” very seriously. “Jumping the queue” is not advised.
- Politeness is highly valued. Offer plenty of “Please,” Thank you”. and “Pardon me”.
- A Cuppa – Just a cup a tea and maybe a biscuit.
- High Tea – A mid day-meal consisting of delicate finger food such as crustless sandwiches, scones, and delicious pastries & baked desserts.
- Tea Time – Generally between 3 and 5 pm, but can be earlier.
- Evening Tea – generally about 5:30 and often the evening meal for most families.
- Wait Staff: 0-10%
- Taxi: None
- Porter: 1GBP/bag
- Bartenders: Round up
- Tour Guides: Nothing, unless it was a free tour.
Words To Know
UK to US
Trousers – Pants
Pants – Underwear
Toilet – Bathroom/Restroom
Cuppa – A hot beverage. Coffee, tea, etc.
Lorry – Delivery Truck
HGV – Semi-truck
Torch – Flashlight
Kip – Nap
Trainers – Sneakers
Joggers – Sweat Pants
Waterproofs – Rain Gear
Post – Mail
Eggy Bread – French Toast
Know Your Onions – Knowledgeable
With you in mind, I put together a Mini Travel Planning Course.